Monday, November 12, 2007

music

i used to be right into music. i used to go to 60 concerts a year, i used to read a magazine called "Q" every month and i knew everything about everything - and then one day i woke up, and i just didn't care any more - probably when i was around 25.

i find it difficult nowadays that bands don't seem to have hit after hit - they all seem to be one hit wonders. it used to be very exciting when a band had a new single. bands like the jam used to tell everyone when the new single was ready and there would be big queues at the shops , everyone would rush out and buy it and it would go straight in at no 1 - this doesn't seem to happen anymore.

also the older you get 60 % of songs are just remakes of older songs that you knew from your youth - god ! i am starting to sound like my father !

one of the interesting things about living here, however, is that i have heard some music that i wouldn't have heard if i had been living in the UK - e.g. brazilian and african music

finally how about people posting their top 5 songs - extremely difficult i know - but worth thinking about. here are mine ...

teenage kicks by the undertones
she sells sanctaury by the cult
friday i'm in love by the cure
gimme shelter by the rolling stones
holidays in the sun by the sex pistols

all old stuff - i think music affects you stronger when you are younger and more emotional

i have probably missed one or two out , but it is impossible to do.

Over to you

5 comments:

moi said...

My top 5 (this is really difficult...):

1. Luna, The Smashing Pumpkins
2. Fistfull of love, Antony and the Johnsons
3. Say Goodbye, Dave Mathews Band
4. I Know, Fiona Apple
5. Hallelluaj, Jeff Buckley

well... i think that's it! but there are some that stand outside and that i love... (rufus wainwright, 'i'm not ready to love', 'the weight of the world', the editors or 'this mess we're in', pj harvey...)

Anonymous said...

Well, in some aspects I really agree with Graham, especially when he says that there's no new things on the market any longer, there's just repititions!!!!!!

Anyway, my top 5 at the moment are:
1. Numb - Linkin Park
2. Relax, Take it easy - Mika
3. Take on me - A-Ha
4. Bleed it Out - Linkin Park
5. Lollipop - Mika

Carmen Aleixo said...

Music, here it is a subject about which I could rabbit on. Music has a very special meaning to me. I listen to it not only when I'm happy, but also when I feel depressed and sad because it helps me to express my feelings and sometimes to cry and when I feel anxious because it helps me to unwind. This is to say that I frequently associate music with my mood.
Furthermore I associate music with situations and specific periods of my life. For instance, when I was a teenager I had a boyfriend and we used to listen to music together and now when I listen to the songs we considered ours, they remind me of him.
Basically, I like all types of music except “fado” and “pimba”, but lately I’ve been listening to some singers that I haven’t appreciated until now. I reckon your tastes in music change according to your age and express how you feel and what you are at the moment. At this moment I’m very classical and like to enjoy the good things of life. That’s why my 5 top songs are:

Aquellos ojos verdes by Nat King Cole
Unforgettable by Frank Sinatra
The look of love by Diana Krall
Sway by Pussycat Dolls
Santa Maria (Del Buen Aire) by Gotan Project

Diogo Santos said...

Music is what makes my world go round.
I love to listen to music, all sorts of it. Relaxes me, makes me happy and even makes me meet some new cool people with whom I have the best times of my life.
I agree with theory that Music is an universal language. Be it sang or instrumental it always brings some hidden feelings to teh listner.

Top 5? Oh my... now that's very hard: I'll give it a try:

1. Teimosia - Xutos & Pontapés;
2. London Falling - The Clash;
3. Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd;
4. Behind Blue Eyes - The Who;
5. Estaté - João Gilberto.

Diogo Santos said...

Woops seems like I pressed the wrong keys there in music number 2. it’s London Calling not London Falling… Slippery fingers.